Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Zoo Field Trip

I went to the Oregon Zoo with all the Kindergartners at Roosevelt, including Asia's class. The morning started out promising with blue skies and sunshine, but as soon as we arrived at the zoo around 9:30, it began to sprinkle.
We walked around until about 10:30, when it started to rain harder. We were at the Cougar Den, when the kids declared they were hungry, so we hurried around the corner to the Family Farm petting zoo, where we found 2 other teachers with a group of kids huddled under the big wrap around porch, eating. We joined them and I turned to ask Asia if she needed help and she wasn't there. I looked across to the petting barn and thought she must have gone in there. I asked the teacher to watch the other 2 while I checked...no Asia. So I came out and told them I was going back toward the Cougars to see if I could find her. It was POURING by then. As I rounded the trail to the Cougars, I could see her boots standing in front of a zoo worker, who was just about to call Mrs Garton's cell number that was printed on each child's name tag. I called her name and the lady looked up and asked if she was with me. EMBARRASSING! I thought for sure Asia would be crying and I was listening for her very distinct cry as I hurried back toward where I'd thought she might be, but she was just standing there with a long, sad face. Poor BABY!
As we finished lunch, the rain slowed to a drizzle and then stopped! It didn't rain for the rest of the trip. By the time we were ready to leave, Asia was in tears because her legs were hurting. I felt for her, because mine were on fire too. She still says she had fun, which is all that matters.



Asia, Alexia and Emilio on the bridge by the bears.

Asia and Alexia in the petting zoo barn on "barrel horsies"

Asia climbing on one of the newly opened exhibits in Africa.

No comments: